Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Life Goes On


Dear Family

 These last few months have been really great. I can not begin to express the gratitude I have for the many wonderful people who I have associated with these last few transfers. Things have been hard but also really awesome at the same time. I remember when I first came into this area I was confused and lost.. I had so many wonderful things happening in San Fransico and I really didn't want to leave. Going from the fast paced city to the quiet streets of Oakley/Brentwood was a hard transition for me. Some of the blessings I have been able to receive in this area has most definitely been the families that I have gotten to know. As a missionary we have the unique opportunity of spending time in peoples' homes and sharing spiritual experiences together as a family. I have seen so many wonderful examples of loving families, as I have spent time in these peoples' homes. I have really come to know that the gospel truly blesses families.
 
 All good things must come to an end. On Saturday morning I was doing my usual routine of showering and getting ready for the day. I knew that transfers would be coming up soon but I wasn't even thinking about leaving Antioch. I was in the bathroom and I had just finished shaving when my companion came to the door and said " It's for you " as he held up the phone. It still hadn't crossed my mind that Pres.Wade would be calling me. With a puzzled look on my face I said " Who is it!? " Elder Jones replied " Pres.Wade. " At that point I really didn't know what to think. Pres.Wade went on to tell me that I am released as a zone leader. He thanked me for all that I have done for the Lord and for the mission. We talked a little bit about my service and the areas I have been the last few transfers. My new assignment is to serve as senior companion in the South City San Francisco area. So it looks like its back to San Francisco for me! After President released me from zone leader I just thought about all that responsibility I had been given and how it just left me. I really loved the assignment I was given, and the experiences that I have had during those 11 and a half months have shaped who I am. 
 
 We have been working an investigator named Rebecca. She is a single mother with 3 children going through a divorce. She really has great faith! We actually found her through tracting. Even though she has been told not to believe in the Mormon faith she still wanted to listen to what we had to say. Anyways, we really wanted her to begin meeting members of the ward and meet people who could support her and help her through her trials. We had a few really good lessons with her and talked about the Atonement and the Plan of Salvation. So these last few weeks we have really been working hard to help her come to church. As we talked with some of the members about rebecca and her situation there was a family that we thought of that we knew would be a great fellowshipper, the Taylor family. They had a great idea to have a BBQ at their house and we could invite Rebecca and her family. So this last Sunday we called Rebecca and invited her to church. We talked about how God loves us and he wants us to be happy and by going to church God is able to bless us. We talked about how Satan wants us to be miserable and how he will do all he can to keep us from going to church. It was a very spiritual conversation and as we would call Rebecca and follow up on her commitment to come we did all we could to strengthen her faith to come to church. We came to an agreement that if we arranged a ride that she would more likely come to church. SO we got a member to help us out. We called and then showed up on Sunday morning to give her a ride and there she was! ready to go! It was such an amazing thing to see someone like Rebecca exercising her faith and coming to church. She came with her 4 year old son, Jonny. All during church Jonny was wiggling around and trying to destroy my scriptures.. and choke me with my tie.. but i didn't even care!! I was so happy to see their family here at church it didn't even matter if Jonny lit my suit on fire.. I was just so happy to be sitting there in church with their family! Anyways after church the Taylors invited Rebecca to a BBQ over at the Taylor's home and she agreed to come. We also came to the BBQ and had a wonderful experience. It was like we were all family. The Taylors are great, too. I have really gotten to know their family well over the last few months. Anyways, at the end of the BBQ I let everyone know that I would be transferred to South City. It was hard to hold back the tears but I couldn't have asked for a better Sunday than that one was. I will keep in touch with Rebecca and I know that the missionaries and the Taylor family will be there to support her.
 
 There are lots of others as well. During these last few weeks my companion and I have found like 14 new investigators. They are all wonderful people and I am really excited for the elders to have so many wonderful people in this area to teach. Anyways yup... that's life. We move on. At least I left this area better than I found it ;)

Love, 
Elder Blandon
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Once Robbie leaves on his mission he will not be able to read comments, but feel free to leave any comments for the moderators or other readers.